RGS #20 on the High Iron

The Rio Grande Southern #20 was a tidy little 4-6-0 locomotive. She was originally built for the Florence & Cripple Creek Railroad in 1899 by the Schenectady Locomotive Works. The F&CC ceased operations in 1915, and the ten-wheeler was purchased second-hand by the RGS in 1916. She was classed as a “T-19” locomotive in 1921, and she was in service until the RGS bankruptcy in 1951.

Soon afterwards she found a home with the Rocky Mountain Railroad Club. The club maintained the historic locomotive cosmetically, and she was placed on display in Alamosa. In 1959 the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden, Colorado acquired the locomotive, and she eventually underwent a 14 year renovation and rebuild. She is under steam again, and was loaned to the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad for a short period in the fall of 2021 for a special series of excursions. She is presently back in Golden at the museum.

In July of 1942 Mr. William H. Radcliffe captured the scene below of the #20 pulling a freight train on the RGS high iron in the vicinity of Mancos, Colorado.

RGS 4-6-0 #20

1 thought on “RGS #20 on the High Iron

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *