D&RGW 2-8-2 locomotive #464, another of the K-27 Mudhens, is helping a train of cattle cars get over the mountains. In this slightly out-of-focus view, we see the train on it’s journey between Placerville and Dallas Divide, Colorado. This image was recorded by Mr. Radcliffe on October 8, 1950.
The #464 was built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1903, and she still exists. Withdrawn from service in August of 1957, she was officially retired from the Rio Grande in 1962. According to the Locomotive Wiki, in 1973 she went to the Knott’s Berry Farm amusement park in Buena Park, California, but wasn’t successful there as it had trouble negotiating the tight curves. In 1981 she was sold to the Huckleberry Railroad in Genesee Township, Michigan and underwent restoration in 1989. She hauled tourist excursion trains there until being taken out of service in late 2019. #464 is currently awaiting a future overhaul. The photo below is from the Locomotive Wiki website.
Black and white image by William H. Radcliffe, collection of Jack C. Shall