Really . . . I’m back on track, having reactivated my program of modifying Shinohara code 70 switches to be “DCC friendly”. Regular readers of this blog will recall that I was suffering from “layout construction fatigue” back in late February. Well, I’ve been ready to get back at it again for over a month, but have been continually distracted by other things. To be sure, I’ve been doing mostly railroad related tasks, but meat and potatoes production on the layout, -namely trackwork- has been stagnant. I spent time evaluating, ordering, and then changing out my DCC system back in March. And I finally got my plate girder bridge assembled; it’s waiting for abutments and wing walls now. I finished some miscellaneous support framing for the scenery base that will cover the staging tracks, and that area of the layout is just about ready for the hardboard fascia. All the wiring is caught up with the installed trackage. I even put some time in on my waybill creation program, redesigning the waybills and empty car bills to more closely resemble the real thing (thanks to Tony Thompson and his work in this area). And as you know, I’ve been playing a lot, A Mini-Reunion at Covington.
But I have been distracted from the trackwork for much too long, so I determined that I was going to get something done under that discipline today. That mission was accomplished. Now that I’ve broken the ice so to speak, I think I’ll find it easier to get back into the swing of things. I only have about 30 feet of track left to complete the mainline, but I’m holding off on that as I want to complete the trackage in Whitcomb and Oneida before I continue with the main. I need eleven code 70 switches to be modified and installed in order to complete those areas, so I really need to get with the program.
It’s good to be back!